Head of the Department: Janusz Kopczyński, MD, PhD, pathomorphologist
Coordinator of technical personnel: Irena Modrzejewska, MS
Screener coordinator: Maria Dyk, MS, specialist in medical cytomorphology
Contact: +48 41 367 4220, +48 41 367 4221
We perform diagnostics using the techniques of histology, cytology, immunohistochemistry, image analysis and molecular biology. Diagnostics in difficult and rare cases is performed with the use of consultations commissioned to other academic and oncology centers in Poland and abroad with the possibility of using telepathology.
The Department of Tumor Pathology comprises the following units:
1. Histological Laboratory performs: routine histopathological examination, the so-called ‘fast’ histopathological examination and intraoperative diagnosis.
2. Cytology Laboratory performs: fine-needle aspiration biopsy- smears and "cell block", gynecological cytology diagnostics, cytological diagnosis of urinary fluids from body cavities and cerebrospinal fluid.
3. Immunohistochemical Laboratory performs: Immunohistochemical diagnosis of lymphoma, tissue immunophenotyping in the histological and cytological diagnosis of epithelial, mesenchymal, neuroendocrine and forecasting markers as well as other less used, e.g. adhesion and proliferation markers.
4. FISH Laboratory performs: diagnosis of hematological malignancies (CML, AML, CLL, ALL), diagnosis of HER2 gene amplification in breast cancer and gastric cancer.
5. Fine-needle Biopsy Centre with a team of pathologists and radiologists. Outpatient care includes ultrasound monitored tumor biopsies of thyroid, breast, lymph nodes, salivary glands, and others. Cooperation with: National Consultant in the field of Pathology (Professor Radzisław Kordek) National Cancer Institute (Markku Martti Miettinen, MD).